Be Consistent….with what?
I’m spontaneous. Maybe even more than that, I’m random. I am not an excellent manager of time, much to my husband’s chagrin. I love to accomplish things, I care about the end result, but when it comes to actually being consistent with routines or being precise on time, I tend to let things slide.
The saying in our house is simply “pura vida.” Let it go. We live the rich life. We live a pure life of love, happiness, and the ability to do whatever the hell we want. Seriously – what’s so bad about it? Why do we adhere to strict schedules and guidelines? Why don’t we simply allow ourselves to be – to simply be?
- giving hugs and kisses to my children and my husband every time I leave them or come back to them.
- telling my family I love them. Every. Single. Day. (and ending every phone call with that as well)
- sit-down meals together – typically three meals, but even on crazy days, we have at least one.
- “Talkie Time” with each child individually every night – even if it’s just a few minutes, we each take time to focus on a little 1-1 with each child.
- Our special kiss ends every bedtime routine. (which sometimes may be crazy, but it ends with that kiss)
- one-on-one time with my husband. Daily check-ins.
- allowing my children to have a voice and express their opinions. Making them feel heard.
- cappuccinos (I may have switched to half-caff and almond creamer, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be fun!) every morning (THIS is the essential piece to make your cuppa joe go from basic to indulgence).
- Rinsing off the day in a shower or bath, so my bed remains the sacred spot of rest, love, and refreshed energy.
- Hot Yoga at least twice a week.
I’m just not structured by events or status quo. I don’t send my kids to traditional school, we don’t work 9-5 jobs, we don’t go to church or follow one specific child-rearing philosophy. With unschooling, we don’t have a curriculum. Our spirituality doesn’t fit into one religion; simply seeing divinity in everything prohibits us from boxing it in. I’m an opportunist to a fault, I guess, and my astrological sign of Gemini would say I always see two sides to any issues. Because of this, I don’t tend to crack down on there only being one specific way to do things.
My schedule changes, our routines change, but the consistency in love and relationships keeps us steady regardless. Pura vida – the pure life. There are many things that are out of our control. Schedule is within my control. But…I want to choose that which keeps our family thriving in the most important thing – positive connections with each other, themselves, and this beautiful Universe. I will shift any schedule to allow the time to bask in the blissful moments of true connection.
What are you consistent in that really matters most?